September 2015 Newsletter
Upcoming Committee Meetings
Please consider helping in a committee this year. We depend on parent volunteers to help plan events and do small tasks.
THIS Saturday, September 26th @ Suzuki Studio
* Events Committee 9:00am – divides small jobs needed to support recitals, parades, etc.
* Suzuki Institute Committee 10:00am – planning for upcoming Institute in July 2016.
Wednesday, September 30th @ Bentonville Public Library
* Wreath Sales Committee 6:30pm – putting together flyers and sales info for this pre-Thanksgiving fundraiser. Email email@example.com if you are planning on coming or would like to help! We need as many hands as possible!
You may be wondering…Why do we need fundraisers?It’s a great question.
NWA Suzuki School of Music will be sponsoring, for the first time, a Suzuki Institute at JBU Siloam Springs in July 2016. It’s a summer camp designed for both your music student and you the parent (of course, it’s Suzuki)! It’s a time to have camp-like fun and learn from the best of the best in a very concentrated time away from home. Institutes are held all over the country and have a format that is set by the national Suzuki Association.
Planning for the Institute has already begun, which involves booking special music teachers and facilities. Some of this requires funding up front. The fundraising we’ll be doing throughout the year will be used to set up this amazing opportunity!
Parents’ Night Out – October 9th
It’s a night set aside just for you! The goal for the evening is to connect with other Suzuki parents and staff…who make up your excellent support network. You play a vital piece in teaching your children an instrument, but you shouldn’t feel alone. Whether you are just beginning or have been involved in Suzuki for years, we each have something to offer each other. Did you know you can:
* Set up music-playing playdates
* Exchange ideas for keeping it fun
* Meet other parents you’ve passed in the hallways
* Find older players who can babysit & play music with your student
* Get to know your teachers
WHO: All Parents and Staff
WHAT TO BRING: Small appetizer/side and BYOB (punch provided)
WHERE: Suzuki Studio, Bentonville
WHEN: Friday October 9, 7:00-9:00pm
RSVP: Look for a SignUpGenius in your email!
FOR PARENTS’ NIGHT OUT ATTENDEES ONLY:
Raffle tickets to win free tuition to the upcoming Suzuki Institute (July 10-15, 2016) will be on sale.
You’ll be able to purchase 2 tickets for the price of 1! This deal will be available exclusively to parents who attend October 9th. That’s a $500 value!
100 Days of Practice Tips
”A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step” – Lao Tzu
Yes, you can practice 100 days in a row! As daunting as it seems, it is possible to thrive and enjoy your 100 days of practice. The key to success is to take it one day at a time, and to make practice a priority in your household. Once the habit is established, practicing everyday becomes a part of your daily routine.
Get it Done:
As you plan what tasks need to be completed each day, make sure practice is near the top of your list. Somedays practice might be in the morning, other days in the evening, or practice may need to be broken-up into multiple times during the day. Do what works best for you and your student. Planning and positivity are the keys to completing 100 days of practice!
Ideas for at home:
* Make it FUN – Create Games
* Schedule a time for practice
* Break up practice if needed
* Have a home recital
* Mark off practice chart together
* Don’t Stress!
* Try different approaches and find what works best for you
* Listen MORE
* Learn to play with your student
Ideas for traveling:
* Active Listening
+ practice bowing with a pencil
+ sing along
+ clap beat
+ use music – follow and mark bowings, accidentals, etc (for students reading music)
* Clap Rhythms
* Study Fingerboard Geography
* Practice Fingerings
* Shake vibrato egg with/without metronome
* Actively watch Youtube videos
Create Incentives: Celebrate Milestones
* Pick Dinner
* Game Night
* Movie Night
* Family Outing
* Queen/King for a day
* Earn New Equipment: violin hanger, bead counter, etc.
* Sticker Books
Just keep going! If you miss a day, that’s ok. Start over and try again. Creating a solid practice routine will reap many rewards!
Do you have games you play to make practice fun? Do you have any tips you would like to share? Do you have a success story? If you do, consider posting them to NWA Suzuki Strings Facebook page to share your ideas with other parents.
NWA Suzuki School of Music