The Application Process
Welcome! Thank you for your interest in NWA Suzuki Strings. It is our goal to place students in the most expedient manner possible. The following explains the application process and the administration of the placement list.
- Read and familiarize yourself with our Studio Policies and Tuition and Fees Information
- Complete the online Prospective Student Application.
- Print the Observation Form
- Pay the $25.00 Observation Fee online. Your Observation Fee is non-refundable and will be applied to your registration when you are ready to begin lessons.
- Call the Main Office at (479) 259-1321 to schedule your observations. You must complete 3 Lesson observations (2 private lessons and one group lesson of any teacher) and have the teacher sign your observation form. We believe that seeing the Suzuki philosophy, commitment, and process in action is vital to the success of your child’s music education.
- Return the completed observation form to the teacher at your final observation. Your teacher will return the form to the main office.
- Wait for your teacher placement – You will receive an email with information about your teacher assignment, group class assignment, the initial new parent meeting and parent orientation classes. Please do not register for lessons until you have received your teacher placement. Your registration will be deleted if you have not completed the application process.
*Because our program is large and growing, space for new students is limited. In the event that we are not able to place you with a teacher for the requested semester, your name will be added to a waitlist, and we will contact you when space becomes available.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the expectations for parent and/or child while on the Placement List?
1. Attend recitals, play-ins, and special events. Click here to view our Calendar of Events.
2. Read Nurtured by Love and Ability Development From Age Zero, two books by Shinichi Suzuki that assist in understanding the Suzuki philosophy of teaching. They may be available at the studio for purchase, at the public library, or various other online outlets.
3. Purchase the CD of Suzuki Book One and start listening at home to be familiar with the pieces when lessons begin. Check out www.sharmusic.com to order the Suzuki Method Book and CD combo for violin, viola, or cello. For classical guitar you can find the Suzuki Repertoire on www.amazon.com.
4. Play classical music in the home. Try KUAF radio (91.3 FM), or any variety of classical music available through satellite or internet radio.
How does a student get assigned to lessons?
Student information and teacher openings are constantly reviewed looking for appropriate matches. Criteria such as day, time, and level of student are considered. Please communicate all changes to the above information immediately via email.
Students are placed with teachers in the order of their position on the list. Students will not be taken out of order unless students before them are unavailable. When an opening becomes available and a prospective match has been made, the office will call to offer a day/time/teacher for lessons. If the match is agreeable, you may register for lessons, make a payment, and lessons will begin.
How many times can a lesson opportunity be turned down?
In the event a parent turns down two proposed lesson times (based on the information provided by the parent) the student’s name will be moved to the end of the list.
How long does it take to place a student?
The school takes seriously our responsibility of scheduling each prospective student as soon as possible. Students generally get placed at the beginning of each new term, depending on teachers’ openings and schedule flexibility. For quick placement, accepting a lesson time that may not be entirely convenient for a semester is recommended. Faculty schedules change and more desirable times may become available once lessons have begun.
Suggestions to help the enrollment process:
- Get on the placement list as soon as possible.
- List accurate lesson availability information on the placement form.
- Keep the school office updated with any changes to lesson availability information.
- Consider a time that is not the most convenient until one becomes available.
- Try to accept placement offerings so that your place will not be relinquished on the list.
Once your student has been placed, you will receive an email with instructions for registration and beginning lessons. You will then be billed for your tuition deposit. Please do not register until you have received your teacher assignment.